Chicken with Vinegar, Page 336

Oh Chicken, my Chicken.  I like to think that I've grown as a cook and as a consumer of chicken.  Back in the day in when I lived alone for the first time in a Mabbett Ave. lower flat, I lived on chicken breasts.  Boneless, skinless, oxydol white chicken breast.  Mostly I'd put salt and pepper on them and pop it in the oven, and mostly I got rubbery white chicken, but DARN IT, it was mine, and I made it!  

It wasn't until many years later that I discovered that chicken could have flavor.  It could be a delicious juicy piece of meat if you'd just leave the skin-on and the bone-in.  Bone in.  Bone.  No.  You see, one of my least favorite things about chicken, and really meat in general, is the sound and the feel of a knife hitting a bone.  It sends shivers up my spine.  You'd think that I'd have that one figured out since I was a grown ass woman living on her own.  My lovely husband has chuckled at me when I return from the grocery store with a rotisserie chicken and I slide it over to him, not speaking a word, and he has to break it apart for me so I don't have to touch a bone.   Perhaps in his effort to protect me, he was just enabling my disfunction.  I'll blame him for this for a while longer.

But!  I've made some progress!  I did cook my Little Bird a few weeks ago and had to clip it's wings off.  I was able to skillfully cut the breast meat off to serve it.  I cut the legs off...who am I kidding.  Those legs feel off on their own due to the well-brined goodness of that recipe.  I have some work to do.  

This recipe calls for a whole chicken, broken down into parts.  Well dang, now what do I do?  Grow as a person?  Break down my own chicken?  Ask my husband to help and let him continue to feed into my wackiness?  I took my dirty little chicken secret with me to the local grocer and had the Handsome Butcher (ask Cindy about him) sell me a whole chicken that he expertly dismantled and reassembled under plastic.  No one needs to know that I can't do it.  I can pretend that it's perfectly fine to pay a guy every once in a while.  

In my own kitchen, I took this lovely bird and closely followed the directions.  It was really easy.  Season it, dredge it in flour, give it a little fry, and then pull it out of the pan and let it hang out so you can caramelize a whole lot of onions.   Add in the wine, vinegar, and tarragon and eventually the chicken goes back in to finish cooking.   The voluptuous breasts of this fresh chicken took a lot longer to cook than I expected, so I and my chicken parts had to hang out a lot longer, let's say an almost full bottle of wine longer (Is that a measure of time now?  A full bottle long?  Two beers long?).   Eventually the temp was correct, then meat was done, and I was able to finish making the sauce which was BY FAR well worth the wait!  I had some pasta left over from weekend chili, so my chicken parts and yummy sauce were served late night and devoured rather fast.  The vinegar was present but not overpowering.   I really could roll around in that sauce.  I have to double batch that next time.   



My suggestions to you are this:  when you get your chicken from the butcher, ask them to chop the breasts in half... you need B cups for this one, not DD cups.  Don't skimp on the onions and the cream.  That sauce is fabulous.  It's only 3/4 of a cup of wine, so if you're going to crack open the bottle, make sure you use a wine you like to drink since you'll have lots of time to drink it.  

I do feel like I grew a little with this round.  In the package of my chicken parts was the horribly frightening backbone.  Thanks, Handsome Butcher, for that spiny surprise.  I threw that bad boy backbone into my Instant Pot and whipped up some tasty stock.  I'll show you, Bone-In.  

My biggest challenge lies ahead of me.  I am getting a fresh turkey and am planning on cooking it using Samin's buttermilk brine recipe that was just in the NY Times.  I have to (gulp) spatchcock it.  Please send thoughts and prayers...or just send the Handsome Butcher.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021523-buttermilk-brined-roast-turkey


Sincerely, 

Patty

Next up!  Cindy is planning a French Onion Tart and then a Pumpkin Pie Extravaganza.  More to come.



Comments