I made soup

Monday was early and tested my ability to be gentle, kind, caring and unselfish. Tuesday was busy, and filled with tears. Wednesday seemed insurmountable. Thursday Dan came home and, thank goodness, Sarah, too. Friday was a birthday party for our little cupcake and I may have threatened Dad's cousin Karl until he came over and ate cake.

Saturday. I will borrow words from a friend:

These are gentle, kind people of the highest order. They give of their souls without thought of themselves. Even in the midst of their greatest loss, they take the time to inquire of the well being and health of each person that approached them. Strength. Goodness. Love. This group represents the best that mankind can conjure. We can all hope to be this blessed in life. This assembly of people was truly touched by their departed matriarch for they now display the same 'magic' that she represented in her life.

It's a tall order. And my legs are not as long as her's. Just get in the driver's seat of her car and wonder where on earth she kept all of those legs.

Sunday we attempted to decompress and ate too much breakfast with our Aunt Feather. Monday the sun shone and we said our last goodbye, forever knowing that it wasn't really goodbye. It's just a different kind of hello from now on. But honestly, nobody likes change!

Yesterday I made soup. Because tomato soup and grilled cheese is one of the small pleasures in life. And you should make this soup. Really, it will let you float on a cloud of fall heaven. And I try not to tell you what to do, but really, you must. (There's that line about doing what you're good at - I know, I know.)

And, I miss my mom. So, I get to tell you what to do. Just for a little bit. And, just in case you, like me, are crying now, just remember that Suzy makes you happy. Just ask her. She'll tell you so.
And don't ever forget just how loved you are. It's not any more or less than you need, but if you're as lucky as I am, it's slightly more than you deserve.

Comments