Where did the baby go?

When I was a little kid, I had a Golden Book called, Where did the baby go? The book sort of creeped me out - it wasn't about hide and seek but a little girl around 3 years old who found a baby picture of herself. She had a hard time wrapping her head around the idea that she was the baby in the picture and kept asking, 'where did the baby go?' And I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that some kid was so thick that they didn't know they had been a baby. And it seemed like some little baby-eating mentally impaired monster was really the main character of the story.

Maybe I was a little too mature (ha!) for the book?

Anyway. Sometime last week it seems we had a little bit of the case of where-did-the-baby-go's. She suddenly turned into a girl. With personality - a grin when you say no, a steamrolling crawl toward Pete when he gets home, a pause while playing the piano to wait for praise. And then this.

Do you see it? The baby is slipping away - I'll miss her, but I'm very excited to meet the girl. She's probably going to want my shoes, but with a little bit of luck, they will never fit her!

Comments