I'm as corny as Kansas in August

I just love show tunes. And it is pretty corny around here lately. When I was a kid, I was always sad when I saw a few dozen ears of corn come home and then be stripped down and whisked into the freezer. Of course, now I appreciate the fact that we had delicious freezer corn to eat all winter. So, I'm happy to report that our freezer is on our way to being filled with sweet, delicious freezer corn.

I made tomato and corn pie for dinner last night. It has a biscuity crust and tasted like the perfect summer pot pie. In fact, it was a superb breakfast this morning, too. All this makes for a couple of very happy creatures when they spy the contents of the garbage can. Honestly, I really do feed them. Regularly. Not from the garbage.


Meanwhile, over in the 2 wheeler department, things are coming along - slow but sure. It turns out that when you're on the big side of 5 (with that head), it's a little harder to find your center of balance.


As if we needed him to be able to move faster.

Freezer Corn
15 cups of corn (roughly 18 large ears)
5 cups ice water
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c scant canning salt (non-iodized)

Mix water, sugar and salt together until combined. Pour over corn. Let stand 2-3 minutes. Scoop corn and liquid into quart sized ziplocks, freeze.

Comments