Right Now

It seems to me that as parents, we spend most of our time teaching kids how to walk away. Not things like, 'step away from the Lego aisle' or 'get off your sister', but the general sense that each little thing we teach them contributes to a successful adulthood where I get my couch back. Look, I know there's more important things I should be focused on, but honestly, I really like my couch.

I mostly like the idea of them growing up. And sometimes it's funny. Recently, Harry has taken to doing a bit of cleaning up and helping others around him without being asked. This gives me great hope for future marriage possibilities for him - one of the great markers of success in raising a boy, in my opinion, is that some day, some woman is willing to marry him. Of course, he stomps home completely indignant that someone could be such a slob and 'Mom, do you know how much work it is to clean up after everyone?' Nope. Not a clue. That's never happened to me. 

At the same time, I really like right now. Just right now where they look like this while I'm waiting for a truck to get out of the way before we're going wherever. Or they pretend it's not Thanksgiving and start to take their shoes off on a freezing cold beach. Just right now is nice. I know next week will probably be just fun, but I'll admit, I really like right now. I'll even share my couch.



Comments